Dental emergencies can be quite frightening and often painful. At Hamden Dental Care, skilled dentists respond promptly to urgent care needs with treatment to alleviate pain and ensure your teeth have the best possible chance of survival. Dental emergencies, such as damage to oral appliances or trauma-inducing pain, only worsen when left untreated.
If you have a dental emergency, call 203-562-0234 and speak with the Hamden, Connecticut, office immediately.
Urgent Care Q & A
Here are some of the most common dental emergencies that necessitate urgent care:
- Avulsed tooth (tooth knocked out)
- Lost filling
- Lost crown
- Cracked tooth
- Broken tooth
The first thing you should do after a dental emergency is call your dentist and try to see them right away. However, there are steps you can take while waiting to see your dentist:
- Pick up your tooth by the crown and rinse it under warm water. Don’t touch the root.
- If possible, place it back into its socket.
- If you can’t place your tooth in your mouth, store it in a cup of milk, saliva, or water as a last resort. It’s important to keep the tooth from drying out.
Lost filling or crown
- Apply clove oil to the tooth to alleviate pain.
- Clean the crown and affix it to the tooth with dental cement. This can be purchased at the local pharmacy.
- If the crown is lost, smear the top of the tooth with dental cement to alleviate discomfort.
- Don’t use any kind of glue to affix the crown.
Cracked or broken tooth
- Rinse the tooth fragment and the mouth with lukewarm water.
- Apply gauze to the area for ten minutes if there is bleeding.
- Place a cold, damp dish towel on the cheek to minimize swelling and pain.
- Cover the affected area with over-the-counter dental cement if there is no way to see the dentist immediately.
- Take a topical pain reliever.
Accidents that harm your teeth happen, whether it’s from a fall, playing sports, or sustaining a fracture by grinding or biting on hard objects. Fillings, crowns, and other restorative devices can be damaged or fall out of your mouth completely.
These types of accidents can cause you severe pain. In most cases, it’s critical to make an appointment with your dentist as quickly as possible. Dental emergencies almost always get worse without treatment, and they can seriously jeopardize your physical health. Getting urgent care attention in the event of a dental emergency can increase your chances of saving your affected tooth, or teeth.
Call Hamden Dental Care immediately at 203-562-0234 in the event of a dental emergency.